Overnight oats are a super delicious and nutritious breakfast option that can be made in advance to save you time in the morning. With minimal ingredients and a quick preparation time, this effortless recipe is ideal for rushed mornings!
It’s also customizable, making it with your different flavors and toppings.
What are Oats?
Oats are cereal grains rich in fibre, protein, and essential minerals such as iron and magnesium. Consumption of oats has been associated with numerous health advantages, including better heart health and regulation of blood sugar levels.
Oats come in different forms, such as rolled, steel-cut, and instant oats. For this recipe, we recommend using rolled or quick oats. They are the most convenient form for overnight oats since they absorb liquid quickly.
- A half cup of rolled oats
- One teaspoon of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- ¾ cup milk of choice (almond, soy, dairy, etc.)
- Pinch of salt
How to Make Overnight Oats Recipe
- Combine oats, chia seeds, honey or maple syrup, milk, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix until ingredients are evenly distributed and combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a mason jar or another lidded container, cover, and refrigerate overnight (or at least 8 hours).
- In the morning, stir the oats before adding your favorite toppings or flavors, such as nuts, dried fruit, yogurt, or nut butter.
Additional Making Tips for Overnight Oats
- You can also make this recipe as an on-the-go breakfast by prepping it in individual jars or containers and having it ready to grab when heading out the door in the morning.
- It will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator, so you can make a batch for the week and have breakfast ready each morning.
- If you use this recipe as a meal replacement, adding additional protein sources, such as nuts or nut butter, is essential to ensure adequate nutrition.
- Also, be mindful of the sweetener; added sugar should be limited. Substitute white sugar with a natural sweetener such as honey or maple syrup if preferred.
- In addition, make sure you’re using non-dairy milk for vegan options.
- Finally, take care when adding toppings. Too many can quickly add up in calories, so stick with nutritious choices like fruit and nuts.
Benefits of Overnight Oats
- Preparing overnight oats is a wholesome and delightful way to start your day that can be made beforehand.
- It’s a straightforward way to get your daily dose of fibre and protein, which can help you feel full for longer and improve digestion.
- Oats are also highly customizable, so you can make them with different flavors, toppings, and sweeteners.
- Furthermore, the preparation time is negligible – mix all the ingredients the night before, and you’ll be ready to enjoy it in the morning! So give this simple recipe a try. You won’t regret it.
What type of oats should I use for overnight oats?
What liquids can I use for overnight oats?
Can I add sweeteners to my overnight oats?
Can I add toppings to my overnight oats?
How long should I soak my oats?
Do I need to heat my overnight oats in the morning?
Is it possible to prepare overnight oats ahead of time?
Can I use flavoured yoghurts for overnight oats?
Can I make overnight oats with other grains?
Can I make overnight oats with steel-cut oats?
Can I make overnight oats without milk?
Can overnight oats be frozen?
Enjoy your overnight oats! They are an easy, healthy, and delicious breakfast option that can be made according to your tastes. This recipe offers a variety of flavors, toppings, and sweeteners, ensuring that you’ll have an enjoyable experience experimenting with them. Savor trying out different variations and discovering what suits your taste buds. I hope you’ll relish preparing this uncomplicated yet delectable overnight oats recipe.
Note for the catholic family: For more information on health benefits associated with oats, please consult your doctor or dietitian before changing your diet.