If you have never had liver meat before, the unique and tasty dish of liver meat will let you fall in love with this superfood.
Beef liver keto is one of the densest and most loaded with essential nutrients as it is a factory of making fresh blood in your body.
Moreover, calve liver baked or roasted topped with caramelized onions is very tasty and nutritious, having the mild flavor of liver.
So if you want to know the beef liver keto recipe in detail, keep reading useful blogs.
Is Liver Considered Meat?
Yes, the liver is considered a type of meat, specifically an organ meat or offal meat. It is one of the internal organs of an animal and is often categorized as organ meat along with other parts such as the kidney, heart, brain, tongue, chicken hearts, and chicken gizzard.
Organ meats, including liver, are nutrient-dense and offer various health benefits.
What Does Beef Liver Taste Like?
Beef liver has a distinctive flavor that can be an acquired taste for some. It is often described as having a sweet and earthy flavor profile, with a tender and soft texture when properly prepared.
Unlike beef liver, which can have a stronger liver flavor, young calves’ liver is preferred by many as it tends to have a milder taste.
The flavor of beef liver can also vary depending on how it’s prepared and what seasonings or sauces are used, as it has a tendency to absorb and complement the flavors it’s cooked with.
If you’re new to liver, trying it with a recipe that ensures a tender texture and balances the flavors can be a good way to start enjoying its unique taste.
What Is The Difference Between Beef Liver And Calf Liver?
The primary difference between beef liver and calf liver is the age of the cow from which they come. Beef liver is from a mature cow, typically older than a year, and it tends to have a stronger and more intense flavor compared to calf liver. Calf liver, as the name suggests, is from a young calf and is known for its milder taste.
Both types of liver are nutrient-dense and provide a rich source of essential vitamins and minerals, making them a healthy addition to your diet. Whether you prefer the stronger flavor of beef liver or the milder taste of calf liver, liver is a nutritious food choice.
Beef Liver Keto Recipe
The recipe is the easy, tasty low carb nutritious, tender beef liver smothered and flavored with butter and bacon, onions, and mushrooms.
No doubt it is a healthy keto recipe for your family and friends.
Beef Liver Keto Ingredients
- 1 pound of grass-fed liver meat
- 4 strips bacon
- 3 tbsp pasture butter divided use
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- 10 ounces sliced butter mushrooms
Steps For Making Beef Liver Keto
- Unwrap liver meat and lay it down flat on a layer of paper towels. Pat them dry.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the liver generously. Leave it at room temperature for half an hour while you can prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Dice bacon in a large frying pan and fry 2 tablespoons of butter.
- When it becomes crispy, remove the bits of bacon bits from the frying pan and lay them on towel paper.
- Leave the butter and grease in the pan.
- Now roughly cut the onion slices, and pieces of onions should be of a similar size to liver bites.
- Saute onion slices on low on bacon butter and grease until it becomes soft but not so translucent.
- Add garlic to fried onions to add flavor for 30 seconds.
- Add onions to mushrooms and garlic.
- Saute this batter until the mushrooms get a tender texture.
- Shove all the vegetables in the recipe to one side of the pan. It should be far from the stove.
- You should hurry the pan so the side is slightly off the burner.
- Turn the heat to medium and pour the last tablespoon of butter into it.
- Fry all things for a second time for 2 to 3 minutes, check the liver pieces from all sides, and the best way to do it is to cut it from the inside.
- Flip it from one side to the other if it is still in the red to cook it well.
- It should be a pink tinge but is a little tender from the inside.
- Place liver pieces on the platter and cook all of them in the same manner.
- Now toss the vegetables with bacon bits and smooth the liver pieces with them.
- Serve with rice.
How To Cook Beef Liver
Preparing and cooking beef liver can be easy and delicious with the right steps.
Here’s a simple guide on how to cook beef liver, followed by how to make a classic beef liver and onions dish:
How to Make Beef Liver
- Soak in Milk: Place the beef liver in a large bowl and cover it with enough milk to submerge it completely. Allow the liver to soak in the milk for an hour or two. This step helps reduce any strong or bitter flavors in the liver.
- Pat Dry: After soaking, remove the liver from the milk and pat it dry with paper towels. This will prepare it for cooking.
How to Make Beef Liver and Onions
- Prepare Liver: Wash the beef liver and pat it dry. In a shallow dish, mix together your preferred spices or seasonings. Lightly rub the liver with these spices, ensuring it’s evenly coated.
- Slice Onions: Chop onions into rings or slices according to your preference.
- Heat Oil: Heat a skillet, preferably a cast-iron pan, over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to the pan and allow it to heat up. You want enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Sauté Onions: Add the chopped onions to the hot oil and sprinkle a pinch of the mixed spices over them. Sauté the onions in the olive oil until they become golden brown and caramelized, typically taking a few minutes. Once done, remove the sautéed onions from the pan.
- Cook Liver: In the same pan, add more olive oil if needed. Place the seasoned beef liver pieces into the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes on medium-high heat. Flip the liver pieces and cook the other side for a few minutes until they are cooked to your desired level of doneness. You can also add the caramelized onions on top of the liver while it’s cooking to infuse more flavor.
- Serve: Once the liver is cooked to your liking, top it with the caramelized onions and serve immediately.
Keto beef liver and onions make for a hearty and classic dish. Enjoy!
How to Cook Liver Meat in an Air Fryer
You can also make the same recipe in an air fryer to make it more keto-friendly and flavorful.
Prepare the air fryer with good cooking spray to make it greasy so that the liver pieces do not stick in the basket.
I recommend using a mandolin slicer to make the slices of onions. It will speed up your making of recipes.
Season everything in the recipe with essential spice, salt, and black pepper, as you want too much flavor.
Now place vegetables, liver pieces mixed with butter and bacon, and onion slices at the bottom of the air fryer basket.
Cook onions and liver pieces in the air fryer for 12 minutes at 400 F.
Check the air fryer steaks halfway through your cooking, and everything will go well.
What to Serve With Liver Meat
This onion and liver meat recipe combines with a beautiful course. You can serve this liver dish with any side dish, like mashed potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes.
It can also taste with any favorite salad and rice. As this is a heavy recipe for liver meat, you should add some healthy vegetables to make it more nutritious.
Roasted cauliflower can be the best side vegetable dish with this.
Is beef liver suitable for the keto diet?
Yes, the liver is known as a powerhouse for the keto diet. Livers are high in protein and an incredible amount of vitamins and minerals. At the same time, a certain amount of carb amounts varies slightly between different animals. Beef liver Keto has very few carbs, so it’s a great addition to the ketogenic diet.
Should beef liver be soaked before cooking?
The secret to making tasty liver recipes is to soak it in milk before cooking. Be sure to complete this step because some think it becomes gamey and tastes bitter. Washing it in milk for 1 -2 hours before cooking removes an extreme amount of bitterness from it.
Is liver spread keto-friendly?
Liver spread is very keto-friendly and an excellent addition to any diet with a low-carb, strict carnivore, and ketogenic diet.