This Beef and Mushroom Ragout recipe is the perfect cozy meal for a cold winter evening. It’s quick to prepare but packed with flavor from the succulent beef, hearty mushrooms, and rich sauce. Serve it over mashed potatoes or noodles for a comforting dinner you’ll want to make again and again.
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 lb stewing beef, cut into cubes
– 8 ounces white button mushrooms, halved
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
– 2 cups beef broth
– ¼ cup heavy cream
– Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beef and cook until browned all over about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, flour, and herbs de Provence. Stir until everything is evenly coated with flour.
- Pour in the beef broth and bring to a simmer. Let cook for 15 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot over mashed potatoes or noodles.
Benefits of Beef and Mushroom Ragout
Beef and Mushroom Ragout is a delectable comfort food dish that’s easy to make. It’s also an awesome source of protein, iron, and Vitamin B-12. The hearty mushrooms add a rich flavor, while the creamy sauce helps to tie everything together for a delicious meal everyone can enjoy.
What is ragout
Ragout is a French term for dishes made with large pieces of meat and hearty vegetables in a rich sauce. It typically features mushrooms, tomatoes, or onions as the main ingredients, although other vegetables can also be added. Ragouts are generally served over mashed potatoes or noodles for a satisfying meal.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Q: Can I make Beef and Mushroom Ragout ahead of time?
A: You can prepare the ragout up to a day in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Just be sure to reheat it thoroughly before serving.
Q: Can I freeze Beef and Mushroom Ragout?
A: Yes, you can store leftovers in an airtight container for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in a pot over low heat.
Q: What does beef ragout mean?
A: Beef ragout is a French term for dishes made with large pieces of beef, mushrooms, and other vegetables in a rich sauce. It’s usually served over mashed potatoes or noodles for a comforting meal.
Q: What can I serve with Beef and Mushroom Ragout?
A: This dish pairs well with steamed vegetables, roasted potatoes, or crusty bread. Try topping it with crumbled bacon bits or shredded cheese for an extra special touch.
Beef and Mushroom Ragout is the perfect dish for cold winter nights. This comforting meal will become one of your family favorites with its savory flavors and simple ingredients. So give it a try tonight and let the warmth of this ragout fill your home with joy!